General Hospital Message Board
From DC about PP...
|Date:|| Sun, 23-Dec-2012 4:34:06 AM PST |
|Where:||General Hospital Message Board|
|In reply to:|| ****Saturday/Weekend Spoiler HP**** posted by RehvengeIsSweet|
Someone leaking Prospect Park's renewed interest in rebooting All My Children and One Life to Live to the mainstream entertainment media has apparently worked in the production company's favor. I'm hearing that ABC has in fact granted Prospect Park an extension on their license agreement. Whereas PP originally had to get production of AMC and OLTL off the ground by the end of January 2013, they reportedly now have until the end of February.
The question is, if PP is successful in relaunching specifically OLTL, what would that mean for the characters of Todd Manning (Roger Howarth), John McBain (Michael Easton) and Starr Manning (Kristen Alderson), all currently part of the General Hospital cast of characters?
"Prospect Park has the option to give General Hospital notice to cease using those characters," explains an insider.
Say what? Say huh? Would ABC really allow a production company that hasn't proven successful in relaunching two defunct daytime dramas on the web, to stop their remaining daytime soap from continuing to benefit from the ratings boon the OLTL characters have helped bring about at GH?
"ABC doesn't really make any money on [All My Children and One Life to Live] unless Prospect Park goes into production with them, and eventually airs them," says a network mole. "They benefit if Prospect Park is successful, because that's when the healthy licensing fees would kick in."
Sounds like Mickey Mouse wants to cut off his cartoon nose to spite his face. It would be insane for ABC to even consider letting Prospect Park have the characters of Todd, McBain and Starr back. First off, the actors—who are under contract with ABC—likely wouldn't want to leave their cushy gigs on GH for an untested project.
Howarth specifically has become integral to GH's success. The actor and his character test through the roof with focus groups! Here's hoping Vicki Dummer continues to prove she's much smarter than Brian Frons by not letting this madness happen.
Keep checking back with Daytime Confidential as this story develops!
- I would hate to lose the OLTL characters. They are what brought me back to GH. - its_just_me - 24-Dec-2012 5:40 PM
- RH and KA never signed with PP, ME did though EOM - CarlyisMyGH - 23-Dec-2012 6:30 PM
PP's grand plans for AMC/OLTL failed over a year ago - md - 23-Dec-2012 11:59 AM
ABC probably doesn't want to deal w/ the backlash they dealt w/ last time - Sawyer - 23-Dec-2012 12:11 PM
The soaps are a money pit for ABC and they wanted all - md - 23-Dec-2012 12:20 PM
- I don't know that they were unprofitable. A lot IMO depends on foreign revenue. - carolann - 23-Dec-2012 5:21 PM
- The soaps are a money pit for ABC and they wanted all - md - 23-Dec-2012 12:20 PM
- ABC probably doesn't want to deal w/ the backlash they dealt w/ last time - Sawyer - 23-Dec-2012 12:11 PM
I would watch it on line! And if Todd leaves then GOOD cause I won't have to - Momrobare - 23-Dec-2012 10:37 AM
Oh no you don't LOL Horrid STARRR has to be the first to go!! :P Michael - RehvengeIsSweet - 23-Dec-2012 11:39 AM
- IF Cujo follows Todd out of town...then he can go! :) EOM - Momrobare - 24-Dec-2012 5:37 AM
- Oh no you don't LOL Horrid STARRR has to be the first to go!! :P Michael - RehvengeIsSweet - 23-Dec-2012 11:39 AM
I love Todd on GH but would not follow him to an online production of OLTL.... - Kitchop - 23-Dec-2012 7:30 AM
I loved OLTL & would def watch it online IF it was a good product with the same - RehvengeIsSweet - 23-Dec-2012 9:25 AM
- For me OLTL was unwatchable at least its last 5 years or longer. EOM - carolann - 23-Dec-2012 11:22 AM
- I loved OLTL & would def watch it online IF it was a good product with the same - RehvengeIsSweet - 23-Dec-2012 9:25 AM
Who writes an article like that? Oh fangirls of RC and FV - Sawyer - 23-Dec-2012 7:29 AM
IIRC, all but Starr. KA didn't sign on with PP. EOM - ChloeSullivanQueen - 23-Dec-2012 2:47 PM
KA didn't but her character did I would assume - Sawyer - 23-Dec-2012 3:06 PM
- IA they would own the rights to the character of Starr EOM - RehvengeIsSweet - 23-Dec-2012 3:09 PM
- KA didn't but her character did I would assume - Sawyer - 23-Dec-2012 3:06 PM
I can't believe JG is giving the OLTL characters credit for the ratings increase - RehvengeIsSweet - 23-Dec-2012 9:14 AM
I for one am very glad for whatever reason they never brought MA over to GH! - Momrobare - 23-Dec-2012 10:41 AM
- Messica still got most of the airtime. - ChloeSullivanQueen - 23-Dec-2012 2:37 PM
- I was happy she didn't come over because I knew they would trash her for GH's - RehvengeIsSweet - 23-Dec-2012 11:44 AM
- I for one am very glad for whatever reason they never brought MA over to GH! - Momrobare - 23-Dec-2012 10:41 AM
The dominant looming fact to me is: February 2013 is very soon. Too soon for a - Kitchop - 23-Dec-2012 7:44 AM
Could it be possible that PP and it's employees have been working on this - Momrobare - 23-Dec-2012 10:44 AM
- PP has a new deal with SAG/AFTRA/DGA. No mention of a WGA deal. So I'd be - Kitchop - 23-Dec-2012 1:23 PM
IA I do think its the wave of the future; they just need tp put out a good - RehvengeIsSweet - 23-Dec-2012 11:46 AM
- I expect they will be rocky at first but as time goes by... - Momrobare - 24-Dec-2012 5:40 AM
An extension of a month isn't a lot of time - Sawyer - 23-Dec-2012 7:59 AM
- Time will tell. I'm pretty que sera sera about GH. Enjoying it while it lasts & - Kitchop - 23-Dec-2012 8:15 AM
- Could it be possible that PP and it's employees have been working on this - Momrobare - 23-Dec-2012 10:44 AM
- IIRC, all but Starr. KA didn't sign on with PP. EOM - ChloeSullivanQueen - 23-Dec-2012 2:47 PM
I don't consider the OLTL Rejects an asset on GH but a drain. I expect that - carolann - 23-Dec-2012 6:47 AM
They wouldn't write for the GH characters without the Livers any more than... - Momrobare - 23-Dec-2012 10:49 AM
- GH was pretty well balanced before Jill Phelps took over as EP. Wendy was able - carolann - 23-Dec-2012 11:14 AM
- They wouldn't write for the GH characters without the Livers any more than... - Momrobare - 23-Dec-2012 10:49 AM
back to topic list