SoapZone Community Message Board

Subject:

Do you keep cash on hand? If so, how much?

From: StarryDreamer Find all posts by StarryDreamer View StarryDreamer's profile Send private message to StarryDreamer
Date: Thu, 10-May-2018 7:15:48 AM PDT
Where: SoapZone Community Message Board
What I mean by cash on hand is, do you keep a little nest egg of cash stashed somewhere in your house in case of emergencies?

The reason I ask is because I don't and recent events have made me wonder if maybe I should.

This past weekend there was a massive wind storm and the shingles flew off of quite a number of houses. Blessedly, my house was spared. But my coworkers' houses weren't and they'd shared some of their stories. One coworker had a few shingles fly off and a roofer came to the street and was basically grabbed by neighbours and he'd demanded $350 cash for the (emergency) repairs. My other coworker had 2 shingles fly off and was also quoted a $300 price tag but worked them down to $150 cash.

I barely keep $60 on hand. Of course I have cheques and credit cards, but it got me thinking: in a situation like that, how would I go about getting the cash? I don't have a significant other that can run out to a bank machine. I'm literally on my own. I know my parents keep cash on hand, but it might because they've never accessed an ATM as far as I know and many banks aren't open on Sundays or are open late hours.

Do you keep cash on hand? If so, how much?

21 replies, 399 views
generated page in 0.094 seconds using 7 database requests (reply links were cached)