SoapZone Community Message Board
What have you tried NEW lately?
|Date:|| Tue, 03-Jul-2018 11:05:27 PM PDT |
|Where:||SoapZone Community Message Board|
creme brulee I have never had it until I made it. I saw an easy recipe on facebook and thought 'I"m going to try that'. I was a little wary because I want to like flan, but I just don't care for it and I thought the creme brulee would taste like flan. Turns out it is better.
We liked it. I made the cinnamon version. I will definitely make it again.
Chicken Madeira (cheesecake factory copycat) I have never been to the cheesecake factory, so I do not know if it is really a copycat or how it compares. I have never had Madeira wine either and don't even know if I can find it here. I just used the Arbor Mist wine we had in the fridge. LOL So guess what I really made was chicken Arbor Mist Peach Chardonnay. I did everything else like the recipe though and we loved it. it was another easy recipe too.
BUNDT CAKE WITH LEFTOVER EGG WHITES, RAISINS AND ALMONDS LOL After making the creme brulee, I had a cup of egg whites to use. I did a search and found this cake. Note, I should never try a new recipe when I am tired. I should have quit and made the cake tomorrow or at least rested first.
I ran errands all day, then came home and found my neighbors sister in law had passed, so went to see her, then came home and made the chicken madeira. Instead of sitting down to eat supper with Trish, I thought I'll get the cake on and it will be cooking while we eat. So that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.
First mistake, I made the egg whites fall when I added the flour.
second mistake, I already had the cake in the oven when I realized I forgot to put the melted butter in! I opened the oven and the cake had already started to rise, so I just poured the butter over the top.
Surprisingly, it was still edible. It as a bit dense and the crust was a bit chewy but it had a good flavor. So I'm going to make it again. Hopefully I will not over mix the flour and I will add the butter. If it was still good even after I royally messed it up, it must be good if made right. I soaked the raisins in hot water with just a bit of peach bourbon. And added vanilla and almond extract to the cake.
But it seems the cake was doomed anyway. I put it on a 1960's round platter, blue heaven is the pattern. Not valuable, but we liked it. We paid $2 for it in a thrift store. We have 4 plates, and a baking dish in the pattern. We just pick them up, odds and ends, at thrift stores.
Our Boxer, Dobby, pulled the cake, plate and all, off the counter and he and his 'sister' Boo ate it. Of course the platter broke.
Haier portable air conditioner After I roasted us all alive when my niece came to visit and I cooked all day, we decided to get an air conditioner.
We have one that does't cool and is unbearably loud. So we decided to get a portable one. it exhaust out the window with a hose. 3 settings, cool, dehumidify, and fan. We like it. It keeps the living room cool and the kitchen within the comfortable range while I'm cooking. it is supposed to do 400 sf, but the area we use it is a bit bigger, I think.
It has a thermostat, so it isn't just high or low. You can say what temp you want.
We like it so far and do recommend it. it isn't as loud as the other one either. We don't run it that often though. This house is usually comfortable except when I'm cooking. We will have to empty the condensation collection pan, but have not needed to yet.
Cherokee purple tomatoes These are so good. I didn't think I would like them because they look discolored, like it's about to rot. Red with purplish streaks. But it has the best flavor. It makes a great eating tomato. We slice them up and eat them with supper or a snack. I'm going to try and grow some next summer.
The Norris Farm it is a local farm that has it's own store. They post what they harvested or will harvest that day on Facebook. I've been twice and we love it. It is where we bought the Cherokee purple tomatoes. I can get produce that was picked that day. I bought some okra that was literally picked minutes before I bought it. Talk about fresh! And it is very reasonably priced. So far I have bought okra, tomatoes, corn, squash, zucchini, onions and jalapenos.
I won't need to buy any more squash as my tiny little late garden is coming in. I'll have squash and zucchini probably tomorrow. But other stuff, I'll get there. I froze the corn I bought there. Freshly picked tender corn.
I recommend doing a search for local farms near where you live. There really is nothing better than freshly picked that day produce.
What about you? What have you tried new?
- Walnut Milk. OMG. It is my new go-to non-dairy milk SOOOOO Good. EOM - Cassie - 11-Jul-2018 1:24 PM
I just tried espresso M&Ms...umm, keep them separate for me. EOM - senorbrightside - 08-Jul-2018 8:14 AM
- Hee--I feel that way about Coffee Nut M&Ms. And I don't - Wahoo - 08-Jul-2018 2:54 PM
- Forgot to mention Oxiclean liquid laundry detergent Lavender and Lily scent - CanaryFan98 - 07-Jul-2018 3:11 PM
- Colemans Mustard nice & spicy - SoftSoap - 07-Jul-2018 5:01 AM
Breyer's salted caramel ice cream. It was meh! I don't get the whole - Kitchop - 06-Jul-2018 8:19 AM
- I don't either never tried salted caramel anything I just don't think it would - CanaryFan98 - 07-Jul-2018 3:10 PM
- Thought of one more: Almay Ultra-Hydrating Makeup - Wahoo - 05-Jul-2018 9:21 PM
Frozen coffee at Dunkin Donuts. - Momrobare - 05-Jul-2018 3:09 PM
- Dang I forgot to include Mesquite Deli Turkey! - Momrobare - 05-Jul-2018 3:45 PM
- I checked out Fit eats...which makes these packaged, healthy - Cassie - 05-Jul-2018 2:16 PM
- Flax and Chia seeds smoooooooothies:) EOM - CarlyNero - 05-Jul-2018 11:19 AM
I tried the coconut oreos - Andrea - 05-Jul-2018 9:53 AM
- Oooh....I love coconut M&Ms. EOM - Cassie - 05-Jul-2018 3:31 PM
- thredUP app.. I've bought 6 tops on there so far and it's pretty cheap, esp. w/ - Springtime - 04-Jul-2018 9:17 PM
A couple of new restaurants to me - CanaryFan98 - 04-Jul-2018 7:20 PM
You wound me, woman <g>. Every year, there's two places - Wahoo - 04-Jul-2018 8:03 PM
I got a birthday coupon so I got two entress - CanaryFan98 - 04-Jul-2018 8:07 PM
Wait...how does one get birthday coupons for Abuelo's? - Wahoo - 04-Jul-2018 8:15 PM
- Sign up for their mailing list I did on a whim. - CanaryFan98 - 04-Jul-2018 8:34 PM
- Wait...how does one get birthday coupons for Abuelo's? - Wahoo - 04-Jul-2018 8:15 PM
- I got a birthday coupon so I got two entress - CanaryFan98 - 04-Jul-2018 8:07 PM
- You wound me, woman <g>. Every year, there's two places - Wahoo - 04-Jul-2018 8:03 PM
- I love creme brulee! It's one of my favorites. My new things... - Wahoo - 04-Jul-2018 4:18 PM